In the previous post, we have seen the General, Writing, and Reading settings. In this post, we will see some more settings like discussion settings, Media settings, Permalinks settings, and Privacy.
As you can see if you click on the Settings link and you will get to see the 4th option as a Discussion setting.
Default post settings:- There are three options.
- Outer blog link:- You will get a notification if your blog contains any outer blog link.
- Comment section blog link:- you will get notifications if somebody gave the link of their blogs in the comment section or if anything doing is pingback or tracebacks.
- Allowing people to comment:- The third option is to allow people to comment on your own post.
Other comment settings:- In this section, you can provide the options related to comments.
- Comment authors should give name and email:- If you want personal data of the commenter like his/her name and email.
- User should be logged in:- If the user or admin wants to comment something then they should be logged in.
- Automatic closing of comments:- Automatic closing of comments for the post older that given days. You can give the number of days in that box.
- Cookie enabling:- To enable cookies to save the commentor’s data. So if the commentor tries to post new comment next time she/he will get the saved suggestions.
- Nested comments:- To enable nested comments, for example if Person A comments on any post then other only given number of persons can add their comments in response to Person A. You can choose upto 10 levels only.
- Comments pagination:- To breaking the comments into pages. Also you can choose which page should be displayed by default.
- Order of comments:- To choose which comments should be on the top either they can be older or newer.
Email me whenever:- You will receive an email for specific actions.
- When comment is added:- If you select this option then you will receive the email notification whenever anyone post any comment.
- When comment is held for moderation:- If you select this option then you will receieve an email if any comment is waiting for an approval. So you can edit, delete, mark them as spam, or approve it to display on post.
Before a comment appears:- To show the comment on the blog these are some settings related to it.
- Manually approved comment:- If this option is checked then every comment will go for manual approval to admin before getting displayed on site.
- Author must have previously approved comment:- If comment author have the previously approved comment then while posting second comment it will not go for approval it will be displayed on the site directly.
Comment moderation:- You can define which comment will be in moderation. If comment contains more hyperlinks it is considered as spam. You can choose the links conatined by comment. If it contains more links given in that box then the comment will be sent for moderation. Also you can choose what kind of words your comment can contain. You can define those restricted words in that large text box. If any comment contains the word defined in that text box then it will be sent for moderation.
Disallowed Comment Keys:- If comment contains any of the word defined in that large text box then that comment will be sent to trash.
Avatars:- Avatars are the images displayed in front of your name. Avatar can be anything like your picture, or logo.
Avatar Display:- Let you show the avatar in front of your name in Comments.
Maximum Rating:- This is the rating which shows the age of persons which are going to see your blog. We have G, PG, R and X.
Default Avatar:- If people haven’t uploaded their profile pictures on site. Then you can choose the default avatars for them. WordPress provides default avatar and some randomly generated avatars also. You can choose among them.
Media setting conatins the setting related to images and videos.
Image sizes:- We can choose the image sizes for different-different categories. Thumbnail size, Medium size, and Large these are the sizes for images.
Uploading Files:- You can organize your upload by month and year based folders by clicking on the option.
Permalink setting is the setting related to URL of any blog we create. We can customize the appearance of that URL accroding to us. We can make this URL to contain month, day, year, category, post name, or post id.
Common Setting:- In common setting you can choose how your post’s URL should be. There are different options along with the examples. Also you can make you own custom url by selecting different-different components.
- Plain:- In plain URL you will get to see the just plain URL having site domain, date of publishing, post title, and post id.
- Day and name:- In Day and name your URL will contain just date of publishing and post title.
- Month and name:- In this URL you will get to see the published month and post name.
- Numeric:- This kind of URL contains basic post id.
- Post name:- URL contains just post name and each word is seperated by hyphens(-).
- Custom structure:- In this type you can design your own structure of URL.
Optional:- These are optional settings. You can create custom structure for particular category or tag.
- Category base:- You can define the custom prefix for your category URL.
- Tag base:- You can define the custom prefix for your tags URL.
Click on Save changes to reflect the changes.
If you want to create then click on Create button. It will look something like this with pre filled data. You can edit this data according to your own need.